Our Historical Data feature enables you to go back up to two years to collect mentions related to the topic you are interested in. This is an add-on feature to your Enterprise plan.
Historical mentions are available for the following Sources:
Please refer to the steps below to learn how to activate Historical Data within an Advanced Alert. At the bottom of this article, you can find the specifications of Historical Data within Mention.
1. Activate history
Historical Data can be activated within an Advanced Alert once your query is created and you have given your alert a title. To activate the Historical Data, toggle the button that says Activate History.
2. Choose desired historical time period
When you toggle on this button, the Historical Data preview panel will appear to notify you the expected result of historical mentions for the previous 30 days. If you are happy with just historical mentions from this desired time period, you can click on Deduct From My Quota.
If your available Quota is not enough to launch the query, then Mention will give you the possibility to contact your Account Manager to increase the number of mentions!
The Historical Data preview is automatically set to the previous 30 days when you first activate it. Please note that if you want older Mentions, you must change the desired date manually. To do this action, please click on the Show Mentions From... preview panel and move the calendar to the desired historical date.
Once you are all set with your desired configurations for Historical Data, you can go ahead and create your Alert! You will be asked to confirm the creation through this window:
Once you confirm, all is done! Your Alert will begin to fetch historical mentions and new mentions.
Modifying the Alert before getting all the mentions
When the Mention system is fetching Historical Data, you will not be able to modify your Alert until all the mentions will be fetched. This is to ensure that the Mention system fetches the accurate data you seek in your original Alert configurations. If you were to change your boolean query midway during the historical fetching, you may miss some important data.
Once the Advanced Alert is created, if Historical Data is activated, you will see a loading bar appear in your Alert setup. This will show you the status of your Historical Data fetching. During this time, Mention will begin to search for historical and new mentions at the same time.
Historical Data Specifications
- Mention can only fetch Historical Data up to two rolling years.
- Mention can only fetch Web, News, Blogs, Forums and Twitter historical data. Historical Data will not fetch other historical social media data such as Facebook or Instagram.
- You can only fetch Historical Data in Alert Creation. You cannot activate Historical Data once an Alert is already active. To do this, you would need to re-create your Alert again.
- When you create your query and you have Historical Data for Twitter activated, your boolean query has a limit of 2048 characters.
- Historical Data is a feature that is only available in Advanced Alerts. Basic alerts cannot fetch Historical Data. You will need to re-create your Alert to activate this feature.
- If the Historical Data exceeds your monthly Mention quota, the system will provide a disclaimer and will not let you create the Alert. However, you will always have the possibility to increase the number of mentions by contacting your Account Manager.